Thursday, October 28, 2010

Like My Status!

I know the effects of Facebook as a form of media have been beaten to death already, but we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of this phenomenon.  So, let's focus on one essential part of Facebook for right now: Status Updates.  OMG!  How annoying are those friends that feel the need to update their Facebook status twenty times a day?  What is wrong with these people?  Are they socially deprived and use Facebook to supplement real friends, or do they just honestly believe that everyone cares what they have to say?  Hold on.  Here's a better question: Why do you care???  People are often very critical about attention-seekers and then don't realize that they are actually apart of someone's fan base.  On campus it's hard to go a single day without hearing something like "Did you see [name]'s status today?  She needs to realize that no one cares".  My response to these naive people is, "Obviously you must care if you feel the need to talk about it!"  One dramatic impact that Facebook has definitely had on society is that it has made uninteresting, unpopular, and under-appreciated people more visible.  Whether you search for the person or not, once they are a Facebook friend, their status updates will pop up on your news feed without regard for how much "no one cares".

4 comments:

  1. It's true how many people (like myself) post facebook statuses throughout the day and others say "no one cares", yet, they are going around and talking about it. How ironic is that. I usually post between 1 and 4 statuses a day. I try to make some funny with a random quote, while others I state what I'm doing. Facebook designed the status update as a way to let others what you were doing, so people are using it for its purpose; however, now with so many friends on facebook, it's hard to keep up with 352 (random number) statuses a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I have to agree. In order to view someone else's status, you have to have a facebook yourself in the first place. And the only reason people have a facebook in the first place is generally because they want to be noticed. Why else do girls post 800 pictures of themselves blowing kisses into the camera?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given your post I doubt you have a Twitter account. I agree that on Facebook it is annoying when statuses pop up on the news feed, especially when they are something pointless like "at the supermarket." But Twitter, which is only status updates, has become unbelievably popular and I am still yet to understand why. Why do people care what Beyonce is doing at a particular moment? One of the only good use of Twitter I can think of is for a cupcake company in New York City which sells its cupcakes from an ice cream truck. The owner tweets the locations where he will be and at what times, this helps his customers reach him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Facebook really has played a part in making uninteresting, unpopular, and under-appreciated people more visible. Usually when someone comments on a status saying 'no one cares' there is some level of hostility involved towards that person. This being said, the person who made the 'no one cares' comment is taking notice of this other person and if they really do not care about what that person has to say, why are they Facebook friends in the first place anyway? The hostility towards the status updater may be due to jealousy, threat, or pure meanness, so to call attention to this person simply implies that they care about what they have to say and feel the need to comment on it.

    ReplyDelete